Saturday, July 10, 2010

Late breeding season suprises (YTWA, NOPA)

   After not getting nearly enough sleep Saturday morning from working until 4am and then out again at dawn for OBBA field work, I decided to unwind by going to Camp Berry south of Findlay and.... bird, of course.
   I was not dissapointed.  In addition to arriving late enough (11:30am) to where the mosquitos weren't bad, I was suprised to hear two territorial singing Yellow-throated Warblers and tow singing Northern parulas, all within 200 yards of the pool at the scout camp.
  Catching sight of one of the Yellow-throated Warblers, I was pumped to see it feeding a rather well developed young bird.  Also the two singing YTWA's were at opposite ends of a rather large open field, so I wonder if that represents two separate pairs.  YTWA's are rather rare breeders for Hancock County; I've only observed probable breeding evidence for this species from a small section of the Blanchard River just north of Mount Blanchard.  It's possible they could also breed around the Clay Pits and maybe Van Buren State Park.  Parula's are a bit more common, but still localized to our larger woodlots.

No comments:

Post a Comment