Friday, January 29, 2010

Lawrence Woods, Hardin County

    Friday (Jan 29) found me with a very rare day off, so I went down to Lawrence Woods Nature Preserve in southern Hardin County.
    While it was slightly chilly, the themometer I brought along read -2F at 9 AM, it was still a worthwhile day.
    Woodpeckers were out in force; I saw 5 of our 6 woodpecker species.  Downies, Hairy, sever Flickers, many Red-bellieds, two Pileateds, and one Sapsucker near the bird blind.
    A Barred Owl was also flushed out by several aggitated Blue Jays.
    The highlight was easily a Northern Shrike, that I saw in a tree line on the south border of the preserve (CH200).  The tree line was perhaps 1/4m east of an old barn found on the preserve property.
    If you have never been, I'd recommend paying a visit to Lawrence Woods.  It's roughly 4 miles south of Kenton.  Take 292 south for Kenton and then take a right on CH190 (there's a sign), the entrance is a little over a mile down the road on the left.  Watch out for horse-and-buggie teams.
    On the way back to Findlay, I took a detour to see what was flying around the Wetlands south of Forest, Ohio.  4 Harriers were seen (1adult male, 2 immatures, and 1 I didn't get a great look at).  Also present were a Kestrel and a Red-tail that was being harrased by the adult male Harrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment